i got this recipe from xo breakfast (thanks mum).
the original recipe comes from jim laheys book: my bread
it looked so delicious and yet simple (we still don't have everything here so i am trying to work with what i have =)) that i had to try it
so, what you nee is:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant dry yeast (use less if you use fresh yeast!)
- 3 tablespoons (extra-virgin) olive oil
- fresh rosemary
1. the night before you mix the flour, 1/2 tsp salt, sugar and yeast together and slowly add the water. then mix until you get a wet ball of dough that (preferably) does not stick to the bowl any more. rub a bowl with olive oil and place the dough inside. cover with plastic wrap and leave it over night (at room temperature).
2. next morning you cover a board with flour and scrape the dough out of the bowl. part it into two and gently form balls from it.
slightly cover them with olive oil and salt and let them rest for another hour
3. about ten minutes before the hour is up, place a cast iron skillet/pizza stone/a (metal) baking dish/iron pot... in the oven (230°C/450°F).
4. use your fingertipps to make the dough the size you need it, remove whatever you put in the oven and gently slide the dough into it. spread a bit of olive oil, salt and the rosmary on it
and bake it until it is golden/brownish (about 15-20 min)
5. place the bread on a board and let it cool down before you slice it.