Monday, April 22, 2013

home remedy for styes

do you ever have swollen or infected eyes? do they get red and itchy? well here is something that worked for me and could help you as well.

when i first started having swollen eyes and small infections (styes) i went to the doctor to get help. she explained that this is nothing serious, just an infection of some small channels running through my eyelids and she can give me some cream that will lower inflammation and make it go away. she also said that what really helps is making hot compresses several times a day if possible. just boil water, soak a small towel and lay it over the closed eyes.

these compresses worked with the cream, but these infections kept coming back. so i started looking for home remedies that would not make me run to the doctor every time to get a prescription.
and here you go: coriander seeds!
coriander seeds have antioxidant properties and help reduce inflammations. the will help unclog these small channels and stop the itching and redness of your eyes.

on www.findhomeremedy.com they recommend cooking one teaspoon of coriander seeds in one glass of water, then straining it and letting it cool down. now you wash your eyes with this tincture several times a day. 

i took it a bit further and combined it with what had helped me before: hot compresses.
  1. i crushed some coriander seeds and boiled then in water until the colour clearly changed. 
  2. then i soaked a small towel in this tincture and lay it over my eyes. it should be hot but it should not hurt. just so you can bare it. 
  3. when the towel cooles down, soak it again. it is relaxing and for me the next day my eyes felt a lot better.

this might not work for everyone but it did for me and i will keep using it.
please note that if you have a serious problem go and see a doctor, i have no medical training whatsoever.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Ugh, I feel your pain! I went through six months of eye infections and styes and had so many doctors visits before my doctor figure out the problem. It was due to the tube of mascara I was using, which apparently had some sort of bacteria in it that was causing the infections. I would have loved to have this home remedy at the time to help soothe all that pain and itching! Thanks for posting this!

Katha said...

thanks for stopping by meredith! in the beginning i thought it might be my make up but i stopped using all make up... so then i blamed it on the ACs here in israel (i am not used to ACs as i am from germany)... but i still dont know what is causing it. happy that you found the evils source =) if it ever comes back, try this! really seems to work.